How We Came To Be
Members of the Los Alamos and surrounding communities decided they needed a Cooperative Grocery Store that supported sustainability, local farmers, natural ingredients, and community. With the hard work and dedication of our community members, the Los Alamos Cooperative Market was born! The first independent cooperative grocery store in Los Alamos county.
Who We Are
The mission of the Los Alamos Cooperative Market is to serve Los Alamos County and surrounding communities by providing fairly priced, wholesome foods and other goods in an ecologically sustainable, socially responsible, and economically appropriate manner. The Co+op further strives to:
- Emphasize food for people, not just for profit
- Maintain a high standard of quality products
- Foster the development of northern New Mexican growers and vendors
- Employ a democratic and member-owner cooperative
- Promote ethical practices, participation, and community empowerment
- Work to encourage and implement appropriate environmental practices
- Promote awareness about food, nutrition, health, and cooperative values
- Be responsive and accountable to the community we serve
What Is A Cooperative Grocery Store?
Co-ops are saving the world by keeping jobs, food, and resources within our communities. LACM is democratically owned by our members, (that’s YOU and your friends). LACM provides sustainable delicious foods while supporting local farms and vendors. LACM is a community wellness space where everyone is welcome to shop and enjoy.