October is National Co+Op Month!
Why are Co+Ops so special?
- Co+Ops are owned by members of the community who value healthy and sustainable products
- When community members own a part of the store, it allows them a voice in what they would like to see from the store
- Co+Ops have a Board of Directors in which the members vote and the Board operates in a democratic way
- Co+Ops promote small business, ethical work practices, local farmers, and family owned business
- You know your money is going to help families and farmers and it is staying within the community
- Co+Ops value the Seven Principles:
- Voluntary and open membership
- Democratic member control
- Member economic participation
- Autonomy and independence
- Education, training and information
- Cooperation among cooperatives
- Concern for community